Feb 3, 2008

On Growing Old

I grew up in a culture where age is traditionally venerated but at a time when youth was beginning to be touted as the future of the world. I remember at age of 8 or 10 singing songs in school about children being the future of the country and the world. So while I appreciate the value and function of youth in society, I never discount the value and dignity of older (than me, that is) people, not even for those who are rather dilapidated physically and/or mentally. I especially admire older people who are still active and full of rigor.

Since I came to the U.S. 40 years ago, I have no problem accepting the youth-worshiping in this culture, although at times I feel it is overly exaggerated for its own good. I do have problem with the age-sensitiveness in this culture, especially many young people's negative attitude towards old age. It is interesting to find out how today's babyboomers, who during the 60's claimed that if you are 30 you are over the hill, think of themselves. I think this phenomenon stems from the fact that this is still a very young nation that still have a lot of growing up to do.

Actually, taking a dim view of the old age is self-defeating because that is a place where everyone will hope to be eventually, but only some lucky ones can get there.

Growing old is like climbing a hill. The older you get the higher you will be on the hill and the broader a vista you are able to observe and, hopefully, the wiser you become. To be sure not all older people are wiser. Age only gives you the opportunity to accumulate knowledge and experience and not everyone who gets old take advantage of this opportunity.

By now it should be obvious that I am rather old, at least by the general standard of this society. But being "old" is really a relative term. To a four-year-old, a 20 something is pretty old; ; but to that "old" 20 something, "old" means someone who is in his/her 40's. In my 70's, I feel like a youngster among people who are in their 80's. Also, being "old" is a subjective thing. While some 40 something may feel they are at the end of their rope, some 80-year-olds are still eagerly learning new things.

I think what I want to say is that we should not use the chronological age to define or evaluate a person. A person at any age can be better defined by many other ways; age is not one of them.

No comments: