May 14, 2008

Internal Conflict in Retirement

I always say that since I am retired and don't answer to a boss, I only do things that I enjoy doing and do them at the pace I please. Now I realize that this attitude has put me into a nasty internal conflict. There are so many things I enjoy doing and I continue to find more things that I like to do. At the same time, I want to do things at a more leisurely pace rather "multi-tasking" as I did before and facing impossible deadlines. Results: my to-do list grows longer and longer,and I am not accomplishing anything because I have lost the strict discipline that used to help me get things done.

I have two choices: Either drastically cut down my to-do list, or forget about the leisurely pace and set up a strict, and mostly hectic schedule for myself, or both, or part of each.

I am going to have to definitely cut off some of the items on the list, set up a priority list for the rest, and better organize my time so that I can get more done. Most importantly, I have to get back to a work discipline that forces me to get certain items done at certain time.

Of the to-do items, some are one-time, short term in nature, such as changing my computer and have it set up to meet my needs, or organize my video files. Others are more long-term in nature, such as writing my autobiography or putting together the book on Chinese wisdoms. Yet others are seasonal, such as taking care of the garden. My involvement in teaching the Taichi Light exercise and promoting my Taichi Light DVD is an on-going project.

I guess I have just added one more item on my to-do list.

No comments: